History of Savennières

The first vineyards were planted on the slopes of the Maine and Loire around 276 AD. At first the vineyards were only found near the great abbeys of Angers to quench their thirst for sacramental wines. However, due to their renowned quality, the vineyards spread throughout Anjou, including Savennières by the fourth century. Since the middle ages the wines of Savennières were served to the Court of England, French royalty, and even Empress Josephine. The wines of Savennières are often recognized as some of the greatest white wines of France. In fact, Curnosky, France’s first ‘Prince of Gastronomy,’ dubbed Savennières “the Montrachet of the Loire Valley.”
Due the phylloxera epidemic of the late 19th century and the subsequent great wars, the vineyards of Savennières were ravaged and there were fewer than 70 hectares of vineyards in 1952 when the appellation of Savennières was created. However, the resilience of the people and inherent quality of the wine has sparked a revival in Savennières. Major plantings during the 1990’s has returned Savennières to its original glory. Today one can find 35 winegrowers farming 156 hectares in Savennières.